Wednesday, May 02, 2001

 
hello. one of those brand-new blogs here.
I'm sitting in a hotel room in Hong Kong, a couple of gin and tonics past doing anything meaningful. There's a photo of me and my husband getting married stuck to the magnetic whiteboard above the desk, right next to a blue Texta drawing of our dog.
And I'm thinking about babies.
I'm 34, almost 35, and next month we're going to start trying to make a baby.
yep, I've lost most of you, especially the girls who are like I was ten years ago - not that I was against having babies, I just didn't care about it, didn't think about it and couldn't understand women who did.
fine, off you go.
this blog's for me, anyway. I have a real blog, but this one is single-purpose. it's for thinking about babies, and for total honesty.
So I'm 34, married a bit less than a year, and somehow, strangely, quite looking forward to wrecking my body, my health, my sleep, my work, my free time and a lot of other things.
I've had a good life. Now it's almost over.
I guess I knew I was in for it when images of childbirth on the television started to cause me to cry.
It was probably around the time I was with my ex, a man who I try not to think about too often, because that can make me cry too, that I decided that yep, I did want children.
He had arranged things so he couldn't have any more - various visits to doctors, tears, ambivalence, you know the stuff, later, he dumped me in the usual bastard fashion - by finding someone else.
Then, thanks to the wonders of the Web, specifically rsvp I met a sweet, gentle, intelligent, cute and very loving boy. Before you gag too much, he's not perfect. But he loves me, I love him and hell, we're going to breed.
Six months ago I procured from Amazon a book on fertility cycles - now every morning I take my temperature and sometimes I check my cervical fluids and where my cervix is at. Then I note it all down in a little chart - it's actually kind of cool seeing that peak when I ovulate, and I wish I'd known how to do it earlier. (When I get home I'll put up the name of the book).
So soon I'll be 35 and I'll have to give up booze, any kind of drugs (legal, illegal, whatever), start eating right and see what happens.
Which is what this blog is for. I'm a professional writer of a kind, and I guess I'd like to have an outlet for all the stuff that will go through my brain. I won't apologise for being a self-obsessed Western 30-something woman. I exercise my interest in other people in other forums. This is for me, and to be frank, I bloody hope no one I know comes here.

oh, and another thing? ALWAYS SAVE LONG POSTS!!! something made me save the s-of-c above before I published, and sure enough, Blogger dived on me.
but here it is. ;-)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]