Monday, September 30, 2002

 

read an article about ultrasounds this morning; got angry about the idea of people aborting babies for cleft palates!

how dare they! when all these other people are so desperate to have kids. a cleft palate is a minor disability, often cosmetically repairable. some more major surgery may be needed, but surely most people with them would rather be alive than not!

and then I began to see something that will bother me as time goes on; at first it was just "wanting children". but now that a year and a half has passed since we started trying, I'm aware that I could have had a child of six months old easily by now. and if it doesn't work out, as we get older I'll know that that phantom child could have been 5, 10, 15. a state of not-ness - not having children - is not an event, it's a feature of an ongoing life.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]