Thursday, December 05, 2002

 
about to make The Call.
have been sitting here with pen and paper, working out when I'd have a second even if I had one first off now. I'd be at least 38, and if this takes six months, I'd have to get pregnant again within six months to avoid having a second child at 40.

and wondering how you trade off the possibility of only having one child against the risk of having a disabled or ill child? I've studied biomedical ethics at uni, and it gasses on about how it's better to be born at all, so the disabled can't grumble, or some such.

then there's the risk of Down's increasing as I age, and is it worse for my body to have two within three years or two at once?

I don't think I'll hold out on the one-at-a time thing for long. plus, what do we do when I'm 39 and trying to conceive? I may be a lot less willing to take the softly, softly approach of one at a time then. so we could end up with THREE.

(which I secretly wouldn't mind. or wouldn't have if I'd had time to have them serially. husband wants two b/c he's one of two. I'm one of three. I like the more complex dynamic. )

I guess if I get one I'll love it so much that a second will just be a regret if it doesn't happen. though I've come across other women who are fairly unhappy about not having a second. I think I should shut up and make that call.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]