Sunday, January 26, 2003

 
quick blog before we go off to brunch with husband's friends, who have managed to have a baby without my noticing; I last saw them a year ago - he's seen them in between - and their daughter was born in November, apparently. yay. more other people's babies. funny, I don't mind when it's people I love. but I do resent it with people I don't really care about, especially when I'm supposed to act like I care (friends of friends, those of husband's friends whom I don't really like that much, etc.) maybe it's a selfish gene thing; I treat the kids of close friends and relations as sort of "my own" whereas the rest are genetic competition.

period started yesterday, just as I was getting really hopeful. so either I had a 14-day luteal phase - it was 10 or 11 when we did the proper ovulation test kit - or I ovulated after my temps rose. I guess it could be put down to the aftereffects of the IVF cycle/biochemical, though I'd like to know exactly how it did it. anyway, that makes today day one. can't call the nurses yet and tomorrow is a public holiday. but if I ovulate on day 16ish as normal, I'm guessing we're heading for the FET on Tuesday 11/2 or thereabouts. my friend will be down from png for a few days during the 2ww, so that's a relief. she's one of the few I can really talk to frankly about this.

and yesterday I saw my cousin. I asked her if she was "staying cool" (code in front of other people for "did you get an embryo transfer" and she said "and trying not to count.
she had the transfer on Monday. they did ICSI and only got one. she is more overweight than I remember, but as we all keep on saying, it only takes one. don't know how many times they're prepared to try - ICSI requires more procedures on the man, and isn't covered by Medicare. it should be.

the paper yesterday had more articles about genetic defects in IVF babies - slightly higher rates of several syndromes, including something called "angelman's syndrome". the suspicion is it's to do with improper turning of genes b/c of the alien medium they float in. blastocyst babies may be at higher risk because they spend longer out of the uterus. but what can I do about that? I have no other option for making a baby, as this last hopeful-failed natural cycle has shown me again.

still worried about hydrosalpinx. the word keeps popping up in my mind, just by itself. "hydrosalpinx". it sounds like some kind of predatory alpine wolf.

five minutes left before we go. am almost as addicted to bulletin boards as to this blog, so I'd better get over there...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]