Sunday, June 01, 2003

 
I had my first encounter with belly-feeling last night.
true, the friend responsible is a good friend, and a doctor who at least knew where to feel, but it still took me a bit by surprise. she just wanted to see if there was a bump. she's very happy for me. but it was weird.

another maybe-tickle as I was driving the husband home from his birthday dinner. maybe. I said perhaps I should have had a long macchiato instead of a decaf; that would have got the baby going, no doubt about it. there were about 3 dishes on the menu I was allowed to eat - it was all scallops and sashimi fish and soft cheese. so I ate those (allowed ones). mmm, duck. yummy.

my Mum saved a cutting from a magazine for me, telling how babies will respond to their father's hands (or anyone's, I guess), placed gently on the belly. I think she's going to really enjoy me being pregnant. apparently my older brother, her first, was delivered under a general anaesthetic. vaginally. ouch. they wouldn't let her unwrap the baby for 10 DAYS! while she was in hospital. it was the time of thalidomide, and they took the baby to the beach the moment she got out and unwrapped him, to see if he was OK. Dad was only allowed to see him through glass in that time. I can't believe my mother would have put up with that, but she says she was a different person at 24.

vaguely lying in bed this morning (did my one glass of wine, the first in weeks, give me a hangover? I didn't even have one on MY 37th birthday a few days back), I thought of all the things you'd need to do to simulate a pregnancy in a man. insert a bladder. fill it with saline every week, getting larger and larger. administer nausea-causing drugs. stimulate appetite. hormone shots. etc. of course if a man did all that and wrote a book about it it would be a bestseller. people would gasp in amazement once a real person had gone through it.

small niggle; I have had slight leakage for a few days. just little amounts of clear fluid with a salty smell. don't like it. luckily am seeing ob/gyn tomorrow and plan to make a fuss about monitoring of my cervix. 18 weeks tomorrow.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]