Thursday, July 10, 2003

 
this will be a work in progress, and I won't send it until "afterwards". but it will make me feel better to write it now.

Dear (whoever)

I thought you might be interested in some feedback on your childbirth classes and the way they're organised.
I was initially booked in at the Freemasons', then switched to Frances Perry House.
I was surprised at the difference between the way the two hospitals did things, and unfortunately not favourably.

We attended Saturday morning tours at both hospitals; at the Freemasons these were taken by a senior midwife. At Frances Perry the tour was conducted by a ward clerk who, although meaning well, was unable to answer any questions at all in a meaningful way.

Despite this, on medical advice I chose to come to Frances Perry. By about the eighth week of my pregnancy the Freemasons' had already sent me choices of dates for classes, plus a booking for an early orientation night, which included a usefuls session with a physiotherapist.

By contrast, there was no information on exactly what classes were to be run at Frances Perry, when or where, until my 22nd week of pregnancy. Some classes have a recommended date range beginning at 20 weeks. I did call the hospital to try to find out about classes before that time, and felt that once I reached her (the contact hours are very limited) the bookings person was at least offhand, if not dismissive.

After those calls, I was concerned enough to make an appointment with your midwife co-ordinator. She reassured me that the hospital itself did not "process" patients as I felt the classes system was processing me, and if she had not been so reassuring, I would probably have taken up the option I still had to go to the Freemasons.

When I received the actual information on classes, I was disappointed to see they were not run at the hospital, as I was very keen to ensure that I was familiar with the rooms and equipment before the birth. I found that the length and timing of evening classes was difficult to work with; where the Freemasons' runs six two-hour sessions in successive weeks, Frances Perry requires women who need to attend evening classes to commit to a 3.5 hour class. For many of us, that makes a very long day after a full days' work, and I don't think it's conducive to learning, especially of exercises and information which may raise anxiety in some attendees. I would have liked to participate in the research study that was offered to attendees, but the extra half-hour tacked onto the classes would have been too much for me; I've told the researcher as much.

I was also disappointed at the way the classes were shorter in total duration than at other hospitals, and that by picking and choosing between sessions, we lost the chance to go through the process with other expectant parents as a group.

The material sent out was insufficiently detailed; it referred to a breastfeeding handbook that was not included (when I called to check, I was told "it should have been in your initial booking information" - wouldn't it be better to note this on the letter that refers to it than have patients have to phone in about it?). The booklet that was sent out is clearly part of a pair, constantly referring to the matching book for fathers for further information on important matters. When I inquired about that, I was told to send off the form in the book. I don't mind particularly that there is an extra charge for that, but I was surprised that Fiona seemed unaware that the charge existed. Again, she seemed to want to get off the phone as soon as she could.

Our concerns were sufficient that I booked into private classes to ensure we were fully prepared for the birth.

I drafted this letter before the birth, and I know that the situation added to my concerns about being able to have the kind of birth experience I would like to have; your preparation classes and tours are the main contact patients have with your hospital before birth (especially when classes are held offsite), and I'm sad to say that the impression they gave me were of a place that processes women without giving them full information, and that doesn't have time to discuss their needs with them, to the point where a large part of my preparation is now about making sure the hospital's procedures don't override my wishes and particular needs during the birth.

As I said, your midwife co-ordinator gave the opposite impression, telling me that the birth could be close to a birth centre experience if I wished.

...bit about how it actually went

I'm not looking for any particular response, although I would like to hear back from you so I know you've read my letter. I simply thought you should know about these concerns; I'm sure I'm not alone in them.

regards,

etc.



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]