Sunday, August 10, 2003

 
don't tell my doctor: I went for the last, possibly ever, motorbike ride this morning. haven't ridden it for 20 weeks; we had to send it to the workshop to get it running again, and dh brought it home for me.
but it's Sunday morning, sunny if cold, there's no traffic, I felt awake and alert and my pelvic pain scale has dropped from a peak of six to maybe four, so it was now or never - I've already advertised it for sale.
the bump sits nicely in contact with the fuel tank. the baby probably liked the slight vibration. I took a very easy route, just a series of left-hand turns (we drive on the right here in Australia, remember!), up a main road, along a smaller road and back down a main road. and on a sunny morning like this, feeling the rush of takeoff a simple twist of the right hand on the throttle can give, and the freedom of movement that I've missed the past three weeks since I got off the pushbike, I could almost consider keeping it. I concentrated hard on the sensations; the pull of acceleration and decelleration (sp?) and the little jumps as I negotiated the speedhumps in our street; the way pressure on the handlebars turns the bike rather than needing to actually steer it; the way, coming back off the street onto the cobblestoned back lane, the best thing to do is speed up, not slow down, to get through the tight turn onto a bumpy surface.
then of course once I was back in our yard I tried to back the bike into the right position and pulled hard on the stupid right pelvic joint. I know that riding it anywhere seriously - to work, anywhere I have to park, anywhere I need to avoid cars fast - is just not an option. and I never ride it much anyway, these days, having become a Car Lump when I'm not pushbiking. but I'll miss it. and I won't give up my bike licence, just in case.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]