Friday, August 15, 2003

 
I'm sure one of my colleagues has a problem with my being pregnant. he was always the one who made comments about my clothing etc; the sort of thing to make a person vaguely uncomfortable if one cared about that kind of thing. luckily, though he's technically my boss's deputy, I don't give a rats' what he thinks, though I've had to move back from him a couple of times to get more personal space. he's not a creep, just lacking a few social skills, I think.

anyway, he more than anyone has made a point of mentioning that I'm pregnant; saying hello to "both of you", that kind of thing. this week he's in charge while my boss is away. so far he's spontaneously asked if I'd be happier working from home, said "not long now, is it?" and today again, when I went home for a couple of hours, ostensibly to sort out some renovation issues but secretly to have a nap, returning to work into the evening because we're going out in town tonight anyway, he msged me again saying I should work from home rather than commute in and out. hmph. I'd made it clear I'd rather work at work - I need extensive computer/data/web resources for my job and beside am trying to continue to appear to be working away in a professional manner despite being a biological creature - and I really feel he's trying to squeeze me into the biological creature box. which is the sort of thing that's made me reluctant to go to the nurses' breastfeeding talks at lunchtimes, etc, and why I try to get my pg friend here to restrict our pg conversations to our lunches. it's just not a good look, and does nothing for the sisterhood.

whatever. he's not really in charge of me - if he was I'd demand a change of job, I'm afraid, as I only work well for certain kinds of bosses - I'm just aware that if I were a 24-year-old junior, it might get to me, or make me feel I shouldn't be in the office. this is too subtle to try to explain to him, though if you're female you'll know what I mean. I'm just ignoring it and getting on with stuff.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]