Monday, December 01, 2003

 
I can't figure out how the date of Thanksgiving is calculated (we don't do that here), but I'm there in spirit.

Especially when I see the heartbreaking honesty in blogs like this IVF one: having been there, I sometimes want (when pregnant and now) to put a label on my belly/the pram saying "I'm not taking this for granted: if you're doing it hard ttc, I've been there and I wish with all my heart you get this too." So send her sticky thoughts so that next Thanksgiving, she can make all those annoying relatives travel to her (God knows I've done enough going-to all my parent friends over the years and I'm happily sitting here in my baby temple letting them come and worship us for a change).

(via Dawn)


today's news: made it to the baby health centre all by myself in the new car, on time even. he's put on more than 500grams in ten days, has grown 4cm in length since birth and is otherwise doing very well. then I wandered around the local shops being doted on by older mothers (as well as the baby-love secret mothers keep until you're one of them, I think there's a deeper, darker one: what we really love is BABIES. kids are OK and we adore them, of course, as I do my favourite nephew, but new babies are a drug unparalled with special powers over the female psyche).

so anyway, he's big enough for the Baby Bjorn carrier now: and he's instantly addicted to nodding off on my chest. I'm just so glad to have my left hand back. I'm sure it will help with the old shoulder injury/associated headaches that feeding and one-arm carrying has also renewed.

the bad news is that I stupidly, idiotically, hefted the 12 kg pram into the boot of the car for the outing - in twice and out once, it's still in there - and when I got home I discovered the pink lochia (bleeding) that is normal for weeks after birth was heavier and bright red: not a good sign at all. and a nasty piece on the news about the dangers of caesars for subsequent pregnancies has made me realise how important it is that I let my uterus recover properly - the skin scar is the least of my worries. So I've taken the rest of the day off any housework and let dh know that I'd kind of like him home a bit earlier today - he's back on 7pm get-homes, which is probably half an hour later than I really need. read somewhere that after a son is born, men work longer hours than after a daughter. plus marriages with sons are less likely to end in divorce - weird, probably sexist, but there it is.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]