Monday, February 09, 2004

 
dangerous childhood pastimes: # 2 in an occasional series.

My various forebears hail from Scotland, Ireland, England and Poland. yes, they're WHITE. so why, in the carefree childhood days of the 70s, was it considered an amusement to peel the burned skin off my and my brothers' arms and legs?
the Australian sun on a midsummer day can burn a child's fair skin in a few minutes flat. but everyone I knew did it: went to the beach, ran around in the sand and water joyously, then slept on their sides for a week because their backs were red raw.
skin cancer is only a matter of time for me: not if, when. I hope it will be of the mild and easily removable kind. A. is going to spend his time at the beach in silly long leggings and tops, and under umbrellas, and then only in the later afternoon. sigh. getting burned was fun.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]