Thursday, April 08, 2004

 
he's up to 2 hours for the afternoon nap. normally this would be cause for rejoicing - I slept for an hour - but it's because he's got a cold of some kind, and probably also because I gave him a dose of nasal decongestant that causes drowsiness. it's times like these I really love the SIDS alarm.

work is coming to get me. I've just this morning finished saying no to that 4-days-a-week work in June, with real regret, and now there's a message from a friendly editor asking for 4-5 200 word pieces with a five-week deadline. if I can't do that, I can't do anything. I guess I'll have to have a go at it. not that I don't have enough to do in the next few weeks with a place up in the country still needing attention, a mother-in-law in town for the next few days and everyone assuming I have all the time in the world for various visits from people I used to know but really don't want to see any more. maybe if I start some work I'll get some respect in regard to my schedule?

which is a way of leading into a real gripe: parents in law know I hate afternoon engagements. they know I'm not sleeping well. dh knows I need my naps. so why, when they're down for the 4 days of Easter, do they, only when dh calls them, inform us they're having a Good Friday afternoon barbecue? and that no, they can't (as we'd mentioned to them earlier) come to us for dinner, or brunch, or pretty much any other time that suits us? I'm flatly refusing to go (which means A. won't either). I feel like I'm being put in a position where I have to be the one being ungracious. but I'm going to do it. maybe then they'll start asking us before they book themselves up for every other possible timeslot during their flying visits to town. after all, if seeing A. isn't first on their list, why should I rearrange my very tired self and my sick baby to suit them?

and the nice SIL and my brother aren't helping - they have a day off from their three kids in April and have announced they'll use it to visit us. a) they ought to be going to a movie or having sex or something and b) that puts huge pressure on me to say "stay all day" when I really don't want to do that. I only skip naps for mothers' group (and then if I get a morning sleep) and for things like Monday when it's my Dad's birthday and I'll be up in the country and there'll be no chance of a sleep. what happened to discussing these things before unilaterally making dates? yes I love them and want to see them. but. but.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]