Sunday, July 25, 2004

 
if "mum-mum" counts as talking, he's talking.

I've been saying mum-mum to him often, and this last day or two he's started saying it when I'm putting him to bed, or he's anxious (like just as we're setting up his meal). so it's something he's using when he feels a little worried - which I guess means he wants me at those times. I don't think he actually knows I'm "mum-mum", but that he's started to associate that sound with my comfort.

I do say "daddy" to him a lot, and "milkies", but I think those will take longer - as will "all gone" and, probably too soon, "no".

it takes so long, this growing up thing. they develop so much mobility/ability to cause damage to themselves so long before they have the sense to recognise danger. he fell onto the corner of the coffee table yesterday and there was actual blood in his mouth - a reminder to me that yes, I do have to shadow his every move.

I miss Melbourne. dh says it may take until February to finish his work here. I am seriously thinking of staying home after Christmas. by then he'll be toddling and there are so many things I want to do with him while I'm still off work that I can't here - take him for bike rides, show him the market, see all my friends, go to the zoo, on and on. however nice, this is still a small apt in a big, polluted city. I don't feel I can cook the right foods for him here, I'm worried about the pollution, I don't want to do yet another return trip to Hong Kong for January/February. I've committed to this six months, but that will be more than enough. I know things will get better as I develop more friends, but all my trips out to playgroups, the library etc feel more desperate than enjoyable. we went to the playground this morning and there was a seven-month-old - but I couldn't communicate with its mother and it was so Hong Kong summer hot that we only stayed 15 minutes. I want cool, green Melbourne, the parks and gardens, the open fresh air. I like Hong Kong. but I love Melbourne.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]