Wednesday, August 18, 2004

 
maybe it's because I've had more of a life lately that I've blogged less. yes, sleeping through is now happening at least every second night - last night I fed him at 10.30 and he woke at 6.47am. the night before, we won't talk about. looking back I am bemused as to how I did anything, let alone move overseas. one day maybe I'll be well enough to work or do something else useful with my life. for now it's enough that I can enjoy playing with my baby more, and sometimes even contemplate missing the afternoon nap, say for when the in-laws visit this week (but only for one day, mind you!)

between inlaws and going back to Australia I'm in for a very social time, unlike my mostly quiet days here with two or three playdates a week to break the routine. yesterday we had our first "swim" in a friend's apt pool. at first he yelled a lot but once he realised I was ignoring the water (after I hoiked him onto my hip and chatted to friend) he started to enjoy it.

he's laughing so much now, and talking. it's like living with a cross between a magpie and R2-D2. sometimes when he sees a goal - the ball, or a bedside table he's not supposed to touch - it amuses him greatly and he crawls at top speed, chortling all the way. he understands several words, I'm sure - "Playschool", "milkies", "all gone", "daddy", "up" - and likes to get his books out and read by himself. all in all, a very satisfactory baby. I feel so much more in control, that I know what to do, as when he woke just now and cried so much I just said "back to bed" and off he went, seeming almost glad to be put back into his quiet space. I hope the trip to Austraia doesn't blow all this, but I think it'll be OK.

I've just fought and won a small battle with the apt manager over safety catches for the kitchen cupboards. the cupboards themselves are a minor problem - what really worries me are the vicious cantilevered hinges that have a gap in them when open, but close like a guillotine. I had to get quite firm that it was a safety issues - they hate marking their precious surfaces - but I think by suggesting that I was also concerned about the other cupboards in the lounge, I scared him into agreeing to at least the kitchen ones.

so quiet now. pretty soon I think I'll have to start doing something useful with A's nap time when I'm not napping. and I don't mean folding washing or cooking. nor work. hmmm. I must be feeling better, all right.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]