Wednesday, August 11, 2004

 
nursing my sunburn-induced headache and my baby, I've finished another book-read-while-breastfeeding, Will Self's How the Dead Live. my assessment is that he wrote it under the influence of cocaine - lots of brilliant flashes and cruel glee, a bit of a failure in a) plot and b) understanding how much the reader should be expected to put up with. I had to skip a coupla bits about a child being killed in a traffic accident, and advise you to do the same, should you read it. but the weirdest character by far was something I didn't look up online until I'd finished reading: the lithopedion, or calcified miscarried baby, retained inside the body. it sounds macabre and gives you an indication of Self's sense of humour that he found it so amusing. I find it almost impossible to believe, but apparently they exist.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]