Wednesday, August 25, 2004

 
thanks to the wonders of Anxious Motherhood, I am now showered, packed, dressed and ready to walk out the door, 3 1/4 hours before my flight. of course the baby will manage to slow me down at the last minute, and I do have to negotiate the taxi-airport train transit with: backpack. baby in carrier. pusher with baby seat. handbag. heavy wheely suitcase. alone, of course; dh is doing important meetings and was relieved when I told him I'd manage - inlaws offered, but really I'm happier just soldiering on without having to be polite all the time. we have seen them every day for the last five days, including this morning - natural as they came all theway to hk to see us - but I'm kind of glad to be alone again.

lesson for the day: any toy can be made twice as interesting and therefore occupy the baby for twice as long if it's withheld for a few seconds, waved around in front of the child, tapped against walls and so on.

I've been thinking about evolution and how foetuses exhibit characteristics in the order in which we evolved them - vestigal tails, fur and so on. is behaviour the same? did we learn to stand up before we learned language? to use the opposable thumb just before we learned to walk? I suppose this is old hat somewhere. haven't got time to look it up.

well, really better go and triple-check the bags again...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]