Friday, September 24, 2004

 
#@*%$# stupid little kitchen. stupid sleep-deprivation fog. stupid, stupid, stupid.

shortish version: housekeeper stacks dishes all over bench. I get home, have to put baby to bed, have discussions with housekeeper over linen issues, clean out last night's baby food from my new blender (whirr, whirr) and start cooking up some baby vegies all at once. dismiss housekeeper ("I'll put those dishes away"), put 1/2 of vegies on to cook, go to lounge to cut up the rest quietly away from the baby. 5 minutes later come back to find I'd turned the wrong element on, and because the bench is so *&%$# tiny, not one, but TWO power cords were resting on it, smoking carcinogens into the air. turn off switches, try to move things without waking baby, etc, etc. 15 seconds later, apt manager knocks on the door - the smoke alarm's gone off down in the office.

upshot: me buying one new blender and shopping for a new kettle to avoid their 30% markup on retail for stuff we damage. oh, and the toaster, which we'd already melted the side of on a pasta pot, but kept until we leave in case of further damage? no, that was perfectly fine. and we don't know yet whether the melted electrical cord will come off the very expensive glass stovetop. by the time I rang DH I was nearly in tears. I've always been a bit disorganised, but never done these kind of things before. since having A., I've dinted the car, done this and a few other dumb things. sleep deprivation is evil. and then I couldn't sleep this afternoon (or the last 3 afternoons), despite A. rediscovering the 90 minute nap. I expect I'm depressed. I'm also rigid with anxiety over not knowing what to do about being here and wanting to be home. whatever I do it's six more weeks till I see Australia again. I just wish I was home in my nice big kitchen with my dog and my backyard.

oh well. at least the fumes didn't kill us all.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]