Saturday, November 13, 2004

 
12/11/04

Dear Archbishop George Pell,

Today is my son's first birthday. This is a picture of him.

Today you published an article suggesting that IVF was in some way a threat to the correct form of democracy. It suggested that the way he was created was "a threat to the transcendent dignity of the human person."

Today I was also given a diagnosis of breast cancer. It's quite likely I will be in chemotherapy within weeks. If so, the frozen embryos resulting from my IVF treatment - a handful of four-celled blobs - will be my and my husband's only chance to give my son a brother or sister. I don't know, maybe you think that's selfish. I do know that my main motivation right now for surviving is my son's welfare.

I understand the church has problems with IVF technology, particularly the destruction of embryos. But while the world, even Australia, has actual babies dying of treatable diseases, malnutrition and neglect, not to mention many adults being tortured to death, repressed and abused in a million ways, don't you think your considerable power could be better directed than in trying to stop people like me having children?

Yrs etc,


.... I have a good mind to send this.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]