Tuesday, January 04, 2005

 
Doctors say a new drug called Arimidex can keep cancer from recurring, and it works much better than the current leading medication.

Doctors say Arimidex is better than Tamoxifen at warding off breast cancer tumors.

Dr. Aman Buzdar,of the Anderson Cancer Center said, "Now we can clearly say that Arimidex is more effective, and also cuts down on the recurrence."

New studies show that Arimidex may block 70 to 80 percent of the most common tumors that grow in post-menopausal women, while Tamoxifen, the current leading treatment, only blocks 50 percent.Dr. Buzdar said, "These drugs work totally by different mechanisms. Tamoxifen does not change the estrogen level in the patient. What it does is not let estrogen into the cancer cells. Whereas this drug Arimidex, it lowers the estrogen production by 98 percent in the blood so there is very little estrogen for the cancer cells to grow."



this Aman Buzdar person is the one whose brain I need to pick. he's at MD Anderson and has spoken about the theory that "female hormones" in subsequent pregnancies may protect against recurrence. problem is, I don't know what that means. his study is here; the abstract doesn't mention protective effect, but this is the right article and full text is available for US $25. I suppose my dr can get it from somewhere.

the big question of the day is whether it really is a good idea to become properly menopausal. it's occurred to me that it's one thing for it to be safe to be pregnant - another to be having a supported pregnancy. my IVF dr did say they use very low levels of oestrogen. but I'm still not sure. I emailed her and she wants to see me, which is probably the correct way to go. I also plan to ask my oncologist about this on Thursday. he will get so bored with me and my questions. but seeing as there is an option to try to protect my ovaries during chemo, I'd rather find out now than later.

there is also the question of the side fx of the drugs I'd have to use for the temporary menopause if I did hold on to my ovaries. plus what to do after another baby - wait? take them out? don't like that last option.

I just wish there was someone who really knew the answers to all this. but there just isn't.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]